Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tropical Storm Fay

Tropical storm Fay made landfall across Florida in the middle of the night. We had heavy rains along with alot of tornado watches and warnings throughout the night and first part of this morning. The kids didn't have school because of the potential danger with high winds and flooding. So we spent the day at home listening to the news and wondering what else we could expect. We weathered through the storm but this poor guy in this video was crazy enough to be kite surfing down around Miami in the strong winds. Now I know the whole point of Kite surfing is to have some wind but this is a little ridiculous. He was crazy enough to not let go of the kite and went flying into a building. He ended up with critical injuries. Below is a video from a newscast . Watch as he goes flying by.

On a side note, the kids are back to school tomorrow while Fay travels up the coast to leave more rain and winds for someone else.







4 comments:

Florida Bozone Bunch said...

It's a bird, it's a plane, It's a crazy kite surfer flying through the air. I am sure that was some experience. I felt pity for the guy--my kids said that it looked like fun. -Maybe the flying part, but definitely not the landing with impact.

Leora Schenck said...

Wow! How Crazy! I'm glad the storm didn't get any bigger and you all are alright! Definitely not a part that I miss about FL. =)

Take Care

Becky said...

I hate to sound mean but I'm going to anyway - Anyone who is stupid enough to be doing that with the kind of wind we had almost deserves to slam into the side of a building. I do feel bad that he was in critical condition. They said he was lucky he didn't get hit by a car because he flew across A1A.

Mary Ellen said...

I saw that on the news, I could hardly watch. The news blurb I saw said that you are strapped to the kite and that was why he got so hurt - he couldn't let go!!!

Of course he shouldn't have been trying that in the first place with that kind of strong winds, but it wasn't that he wouldn't let go but that he COULDN'T let go....OUCH!!!