Friday, April 13, 2007

Our Anniversary


The Roses

Our wedding day 4-14-1990

The wedding party
A more recent picture

Seventeen years ago today I was preparing to marry my best friend. We had been working hard for several days preparing our new home, remodeling and moving things in. We also were using our new home as a place for the guys to stay who had to fly in to be in our wedding, so we wanted things to be ready for their accomodations. We worked day and night trying to finish things up so they could stay their. Of course we had the wedding rehearsal that friday night and we were frantically trying to finish things up that needed done for the wedding and reception and all things involved. I remember that our rehearsal took hours on end to get through. You see, none of us had ever done this before. Although Rod had been in a few weddings, I had never been in one. So , I didn't really know how things should go, and our pastor had never performed one either. We were all in the dark. Luckily my maid of honor had coordinated a few weddings at her church back in Texas and was some help. Thank goodness we had the rehearsal dinner before, because we would have all starved to death. After finally figuring out where to stand, how to come down the aisle etc. Rod and I needed to practice a song we had chosen to sing to each other.Now I don't claim to be the best singer in the world, but I think I can carry a tune. But I had gotten a cold and was not able to hit the high notes in the song. So we had to knock it down a few notches. Well, after several run throughs, I thought I had it down pat. NOT! On our wedding day,it sounded horrible. You wouldn't believe I could sing. And There again, I'm not the best, but it should have come out better than it did. Rod forgot his words, so I was mouthing his to him on his verse. Needless to say, we made it through, but don't ever ask to see the video. It turned out to be a rainy cool weekend, which was also Easter weekend. But we were married and life had begun.Now I could say all things were wonderful, but we had a rough first year adjusting to each other and all the things that go along with marriage. We could have killed each other, but we decided we were going to make it work or else! I must say we have went through trials, wondered why we had to go through so many different things. We lost a house to a fire in 1994, we lost a business, but I think all those things has made our marriage stronger! We moved to Florida in Feb. of 1997 and got into a better ,bigger church where we could grow, have many friends, although in Florida they come and they go frequently, but I think our marriage is the best! I have a wonderful loving husband who spoils me rotten and is truly my very best friend. Many people think we are crazy because we do everything together, and up until about 3 yrs ago never spent any time apart for any length of time. Now that I look back, I never would have imagined that we would have 6 kids and living in Florida. But I love every minute of my crazy life and wouldn't change it for the world. Rod came home today with a card and Roses and tells me I need to pack because we are leaving early in the morning to go away for a short overnight trip, but time to spend alone with each other. I look forward to the time alone with him to relax and reminisce(sp). So, Rod I love you ! Happy Anniversary, I hope we have many more!

4 comments:

Leora Schenck said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! Have a great time on your trip!

Truckin Teeds said...

So glad you get to go away even for a short time! Hope you guys have a fun (and ROMANTIC) time! :) Happy Anniversary!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! The last time we went on a "romantic" anniversary night we came home with Katie!!:):) Hope you had a wonderful time. Gale

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary from Rod's Mom and to a special Daughter inlaw. We are now in Ohio as you know. We will return to Florida in Oct. or Nov.Miss you all. Love ya with unmeasureless love. Mom,Motherinlaw and Grandmother